Trinity’s History A Brief History of Trinity Lutheran Church On January 2, 1947, Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church began under the direction of Rev. C. Max Huddle, appointed mission developer by the Board of American Missions. The first service was held in the Lee Theater on Williamson Road on February 2, 1947. Greetings were brought by the Rev. R. Homer Anderson, D.D., representing the Lutheran Synod of Virginia. Sixty-four people were in attendance and the message was delivered by the Rev. Max Huddle. On February 15, the Women’s Guild was organized with nineteen in attendance and on March 9, the Sunday School was organized with twenty-eight in attendance. On July 13, 1947, the formal organization of Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church was held in the Huntington Court Methodist Church, Williamson Road. Sixty-three charter members were received and four children were baptized. Greetings were brought by the Rev. R. Homer Anderson and the Rev. Wade H. Hampton, D.D., representing the Virginia Synod and the Roanoke Ministerial Association, respectively. Also during that year, the Women’s Guild was inducted into the Women of the Church and on September 21, the Luther League was organized with twelve in attendance. On October 15 the Jessie Cronk Circle of the Women of the Church was organized. On December 10, three lots were purchased from Hedgelawn Nurseries, Inc. as the future site of the church. On February 3, 1948 the congregation was received into the Lutheran Synod of Virginia at the regular meeting held at St. Mark’s Lutheran Church, Roanoke. During 1948 under the leadership of Pastor Perry, the congregation entered into contract to construct a parsonage (annex) for the sum of $12,650.00.This was completed and occupied by the pastor and his family on January 15, 1949. On May 14, 1950, the place of worship changed from Lee Theater to the Williamson Road Masonic Temple. On October 12, 1950, a contract was obtained for the erection of a church building and on February 14, 1951, cornerstone laying ceremonies were held with the sermon by the Rev. M. L. Minnick of College Lutheran Church, Salem, Virginia. On October 14, 1951, the church was dedicated with the sermon being delivered by the Rev. R. Homer Anderson. During 1956 a residence and adjoining lots of Greenlawn Avenue, N.W. were purchased as a new parsonage and parking lot. The former parsonage on Epperley Avenue was converted into a Sunday School annex. In 1961, the newly constructed mosaic statue of Christ was erected on the church lawn. The Luther League put the mosaic together. On September 8, 1968 Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church held its 21st Year Homecoming Celebration with approximately 299 persons in attendance. The sermon was delivered on that day by the Rev. Dewey L. Heglar. In March of 1972, a note burning ceremony was conducted commemorating the payments in full of all Building Fund debts of Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church. On September 24, 1972, the 25th Anniversary of Trinity was celebrated with approximately 120 persons in attendance. Two former pastors, the Rev. C. Max Huddle and the Rev. Russell A. Eckert conducted the services. In August of 1977, construction of an Educational Wing began with the dedication of the Wing on August 29, 1978. In 1981, the stained glass window of the Holy Spirit as a dove was installed over the chancel in memory of William P. Bilbro, Sr., Sharon Coffman Graham, Sidney Lee Hansbrough, Andrea Larson, and in honor of Harry Wayne and Donald Allen Hansbrough. On June 14, 1981, a Homecoming Sunday celebrated the 30th Anniversary of the 1951 Cornerstone laying. Pastor Harper and family were welcomed “home” and Pastor Harper delivered the sermon. Approximately 150 persons gathered for this occasion.